Here are the latest news and notes from Prairie Athletics:
Important athletic event dates announced:
- Monday, August 26- CP Athletic Booster Club Meeting in the board room
- Tuesday, August 27- XC CP Invite at Camp Collum
- Saturday, September 7- VB CP Invite
- Friday, September 13- Homecoming (FB hosts Tri-Central)
- Saturday, September 14- Girls Golf Conference Meet at Angel Hill in Rossville
- Monday, September 23- Girls Golf Sectionals at Coyote Crossing
- Thursday, September 26- VB hosts Frankfort
- Friday, September 27- Youth Recognition Night (FB hosts Delphi)
- Thursday, October 3- VB hosts Rossville
- Saturday, October 5- XC Conference Meet hosted by Rossville
- Friday, October 11- Fall Sport Senior Night (FB hosts Carroll)
- Saturday, October 12- VB Prairie Invite (12 team invitational)
- (Fall Break: Monday Oct. 14- Friday Oct. 18)
- October 15, 17, 19- VB Sectionals hosted by Clinton Prairie
- Friday, October 18- Final Regular Season FB game vs. Eastern
- Friday, October 25- FB Sectionals
Girls Golf: The girls golf team hosted the County Meet last weekend at Deer Track in off and on again showers. Leading the way was Senior Emma Price, who also earned medalist honors earlier in the week in a three-way meet with Taylor and Elwood. Other Seniors on Coach Cullom’s team are Maddie Swinford and Porter Kelly.
Cross Country: The Cross Country team opened their season Saturday at Terre Haute running at the famed Laverne Gibson Cross Country Course, site of the State Championship meet. Coach Garrett and both teams return a solid nucleus and are expecting to compete for county and conference championships once again this season. The girls are looking to extend their conference streak to five in a row. Seniors include Logan Barrett, Brody Cooke, Melody Tolley, and Rebekah Lloyd. This weekend the team will travel to the Blue River Valley Course, which is a semi-state course, before hosting the CP Invite on Tuesday, August 27, at Camp Cullom.
Football: The boys team opened action this past Friday with a scrimmage against Fountain Central. Several new faces are on the field and on the sidelines this season. The team features a 15-member Senior class (including managers) and looks to improve in Coach Jones’s second season as head coach. The boys travel to Park Tudor this Friday for the first of three straight road games before returning to host Tri-Central on Homecoming on Friday, September 13th.
Volleyball: The Prairie Volleyball team hosted Kokomo for a scrimmage last Thursday. The girls are coming off a stellar 2018 campaign which included a conference and sectional title. Seniors Jalynn Gleb, Keyra Fisher, and Lexi Collins look to keep the Gophers on track again this season. The girls travel to WeBo Tuesday for a 5:30pm start before hosting North Montgomery on Thursday at 6pm.
Cheerleading: The Gopher cheerleading squad has been working hard throughout the summer in an effort to represent and encourage our Prairie Pride during athletic events. They will compete in several competitions this fall and Coach Scott is excited with the potential they have shown so far. Seniors include Adri Isaacs, Shelby Myers, Sadie Smith, and Shylynn Brown.