Here are the latest news and notes from Prairie Athletics…
The week in review:
- JV/V Volleyball fought back from a 2-0 deficit to defeat Faith Christian in 5 sets last Tuesday. The Lady Gophers then fell at Carroll to open HHC play and went 0-4 in the Huntington North Invite. Although the record didn’t show it last week, the girls are improving each night and were extremely competitive against some bigger schools.
- The Cross Country team hosted the five team CP Invite on Tuesday with the Boys finishing 2nd and the Girls taking 3rd. Top 5 finishers included Tony Perez (5th) for the boys and Rebekah Lloyd (1st) and Melody Tolley (2nd) for the girls. Coach Garrett’s team also participated in the Mav Stampede on Saturday. Melody Tolley was the top area finisher (4th) on the girls side.
- Football was defeated at Attica on Friday Night 50-14. The host Ramblers imposed their will early before the Gophers were able to respond. The loss evens the Gophers record at 1-1 and they head into rivalry week (at Clinton Central) with a chip on their shoulder. Homecoming for the Gophers is scheduled for Sept. 13, Elementary/Youth Football Night is Sept. 27, and Senior Night is Oct. 11.
- Girls Golf hosted Clinton Central and University on Tuesday night. While the Gophers finished in third place they were just strokes behind the Bulldogs. The Girls are tuning up for Conference (Sept. 14 at Angel Hill in Rossville) and Sectionals (Sept. 23 at Coyote Crossing).
Events for this week include:
- Tuesday- Girls Golf @ North Montgomery 4:45pm, JV/V Volleyball hosts Tri-Central 6pm, JH Football hosts Attica 6pm
- Wednesday- JH Cross Country @ Wainwright 5pm, JV/V Volleyball @ McCutcheon 6pm
- Thursday- Girls Golf hosts Attica 4:45pm, JV/V Volleyball @ LCC 6pm
- Friday- Football travels to Clinton Central 7pm
- Saturday- JV/V Volleyball hosts the CP Invite 9am
- The next Booster Club meeting is Wednesday, Sept. 25, at 7pm.