Here are the latest news and notes from Prairie Athletics…
- Join us this Saturday (1/25) for Hardwood celebrations at halftime of the Boys Varsity Basketball game vs. Attica. Who will be crowned the 2020 Queen? Find out this weekend.
- This week is a big one for our Wrestlers. Tuesday night they have their final home dual of the year vs. Western Boone before competing in the HHC Championships this Saturday at Clinton Central. Several of our wrestlers look to compete for the individual conference crown, including 23-2 Jason Stevens (195 lbs) , 24-4 Mathew Schilling (220 lbs), and 23-2 Sean Patrick (285 lbs). Sectionals are Saturday, February 1, at Frankfort.
- Our Lady Gophers continue to roll as they picked up their 10th (North White) and 11th (Carroll) straight victory this week. Prairie will play at Frankfort on Tuesday of this week before traveling to Eastern in an important HHC showdown on Friday night. The Lady Gophers control their own destiny in the HHC with just two conference games remaining. Senior night for our Seniors will be on Friday, January 31st. The Sectional draw will be this Sunday, January 26th, which is hosted by Sheridan. The Lady Gophers are grouped with Central Catholic, Seeger, Fountain Central, Sheridan, and Rossville.
- The Boys Basketball team also grinded out a conference road victory at Carroll on Friday night in their only contest of the week. With the win, the Gophers remained undefeated in conference play with an important game scheduled this Friday at Eastern. Prairie also hosts Attica this Saturday night, which is also our Hardwood game. According to John Harrell’s site, the Gophers lead the state in defensive average, giving up a mere 36.92 points per game. They are also 7th in average margin of victory in the state with 23.83 points per game.
- The Junior High Boys Basketball season comes to a close tonight at Clinton Central. The 8th grade has continued to make tremendous improvement over the last several years, and increased their win total significantly this year. While the 8th grade was unable to capture any championships this year, their continued development will be instrumental in the future of Gopher Basketball. The 7th Grade wrapped up the inaugural JH Boys HHC Championship this weekend, defending their home floor. The title is the fourth of the season for the 7th Grade. Congratulations on an outstanding season and continued development.
- The Booster Club is hosting the first Bowl-A-Thon on Sunday, February 23rd, at Arrowhead Bowl in Lafayette. The Junior/Senior High School will have the first opportunity to register teams of five (through Feb. 6) before opening it up to adults and other groups in the CP Community. All 42 lanes are reserved for the Prairie community with all profits going back to Prairie kids. Once the $50/team in pledges is raised each team will be able to bowl for free. Registration forms can be found in the Athletic Office. We hope to have each club and sport represented by at least one team. More information is also available by clicking on the link… click here