Here are the latest news and notes from Prairie Athletics…
- It is March in Indiana and one of the best times of the year as Hoosier Hysteria and March Madness take center stage. Your Gophers are hoping to make this a March to remember as they gear up for Sectional play this week at Western Boone. The Gophers will play the winner of the Fountain Central/Western Boone game in the second game Friday night. The Gophers defeated Fountain Central 59-25 on Tuesday night and Western Boone 59-43 on Senior Night this past Friday to close out the regular season with an 18-4 record. Sectional tickets are on sale through Friday in the Athletic Office for $10 and are good for the entire Sectional. Students wanting to ride the fan bus should sign up in the Athletic Office by Tuesday. It would be great to see a “sea of red” at WeBo on Friday night!
- HHC Championship shirts for Boys and Girls teams will be available for pickup on Thursday in the Athletic Office for those that ordered them.
- The Junior High Girls Basketball teams have had a successful run the last two weekends. The 7th Grade captured the County Championship and CP Invite Championship the last two weekends while the 8th Grade has finished 2nd in both. The Lady Gophers will compete in the HHC tournament next week.
- The Junior High Wrestling team competed in the HHC Meet this past weekend at Clinton Central and came away with a 4th place finish out of nine teams. Congratulations to Aiden Cavitt (175 lbs) and Jon Shaff (275 lbs) for winning their respective weight class championships. Zach Rapp (195 lbs) and Kyeson Habbinga (70 lbs) finished runner-up while Cooper Long (3rd at 75 lbs), Andy Herrick (4th at 80 lbs), Kadie Fearnow (4th at 90 lbs), Xander Bousum (4th at 95 lbs), Malichi Corbin (4th at 100 lbs), Kolten Perkins (3rd 138 lbs), and Shelby Luper (3rd at 145 lbs) also placed in the top four for the Gophers.
- Track and Field is under way with practices starting last week at the high school level. 8th Grade will start tonight, 7th Grade will start next week (Mar. 9), and 6th Grade will start the following week (Mar. 16).
- High School Softball has their first official practice Monday, March 9th, and High School Baseball has their first practice Monday, March 16th.
- Spring Sport Physical Night will be held Tuesday, May 26th from 6-8pm in the Multipurpose room.